Monday, December 2, 2013

Danish Wedding Cookie Recipe

Danish Wedding Cookies - MOCK RECIPE.

First, the disclaimer to keep me from being sued.  The above image is not mine. I got it from the web to use as a "fair use" reference.  This is not the recipe to Keebler's Danish Wedding Cookies, I don't know their recipe.  I only figured out the recipe that tastes just like their Danish Wedding Cookies.

This recipe is my recipe that I trial and errored until I got it as close to the Keebler Danish Wedding Cookies as I could.  The ingredients are the same.

Ingredients:

1 cup shortening (part butter or margarine)
1 cup Sugar, granulated
1 cup packed light Brown Sugar
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

2 cups flour
1 tsp Baking SODA
1 tsp Salt

1 cup Rolled Oats
1 cup sweetened Flaked Coconut - chopped into tiny bits
3/4 cup Chocolate Chips - chopped into tiny bits

* 1/2 - 3/4 chopped Pecans - chopped into tiny bits *OPTIONAL*
(optional if you have nut allergy, the Keebler recipe doesn't have nuts in them - but I think they taste better with them)

Powdered Sugar (for rolling cookies in)


Instructions:

Okay, here is how I do it.  I don't own any fancy equipment - I use just a bowl and wooden spoon for my mixing.

- Preheat Oven to 400° f.

In one bowl:
  - Mix the Shortening (I mix half sweet unsalted real butter with mine), Sugar, and Brown Sugar.
  - Mix in two slightly beaten eggs and the Vanilla Extract.

In a separate bowl:
  - Mix Flour, Baking SODA, and Salt. (I stir mine with a whisk until it's mixed well).

- Stir flour mixture into sugar mixture until incorporated.

- Stir in Rolled Oats.

- Stir in Chocolate Chip tiny bits, Chopped Coconut Flakes, Chopped Pecans.

Drop spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly (Slightly flattened drop cookies).

Bake at 400° f  for approximately 12 minutes (pending oven, latitude, etc..)

After removing cookies from oven and they have cooled enough to handle (you want them still warm, not hot), roll them in Powdered Sugar and set on rack to cook completely.

After looking at their box and seeing the Ingredients, I deduced that these cookies are nothing more than Chocolate Chip - Coconut - Oatmeal cookies rolled in powdered sugar.  They don't add chopped pecans in theirs, but I found that I liked them better with the chopped nuts in them.

Here's the batch I made Today.  I ate four of them. So this is about how much a batch makes, minus 4.


If you like this recipe and would like to thank me for sharing it with you, please take moment to look at my books at Barnes and Noble Booksellers: <HERE>











5 comments:

  1. i followed this recipe to a tee and my cookies were flat and nearly burnt. what did i do wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its tio much shortening because i have the same problem.

      Delete
  2. Mine came out flat also so next time will cut the shortening by 10%. Otherwise the taste is good. They were crisp with slight chew and real close to the Danish cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tried the recipe today. It's a good recipe but a bit too chocolaty for my taste. After reading the comments I made these changes: I used 1/4 cup of unsalted butter and 1/2 cup shortening. I used unsweetened coconut (cause I wasn't paying attention but it's still tasted good but will use sweetened next time). I set my oven to 375 F and baked the first batch for 13 minutes. The cookies still really spread out but weren't burnt. For the next batch I made my cookie dough balls 1/2 the size of the first batch (about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch diameter) and I put them in the fridge while the previous batch was baking. This helped make a smaller cookie and helped the dough not spread out very much. I also stuck with a baking time of 10 minutes for the smaller cookies. Hope this helps your readers. Thank you for the recipe. Will definitely make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To add to my previous comment, I think the key is to chill the dough first in order to reduce the spread and to also reduce the oven temperature. Next time I will use less chocolate chips because I feel like this cookie tasted too much like a chocolate chip cookie, and I will also be sure to use sweetened coconut.

    ReplyDelete