I am halfway through the deep editing/re-writing of "Darkness Reaching" - a paranormal horror novel. I am surprised at the amount of errors I had in it. Anyone that read the original must have thought I was an idiot. I realize it shouldn't be of any surprise, after all I wrote its narration in the third person and then just before it was finished, I changed its narration to the first person. This required noun, pronoun and verb changes throughout the book. On my first go, I thought I had got them all changed and the sentences fixed. But when you don't put it away for awhile, you tend to not notice all the sentences in err.
I dropped the pen name I originally had for the novel, "Nathan Kane." I really didn't like that pen name and I don't know what compelled me to use it. I decided to use my name, "J.K. James." The copyright office knows the difference (that they are the same author holding rights). As far as the title, I am not sure if I am going to keep "Darkness Reaching" or change it. I haven't got a definitive answer if I change the author name in that I have to change the title as well, being 100% rights are retained (and the fact they are the same person). I really like the title, "Darkness Reaching" and don't want to change it. Another title name I have been thinking about for it is: "Shadow's Reach." But it doesn't have the same effect I think. The key to the title is it has to be original, as the book is a product. It must jump out and perfectly label the story, which "Darkness Reaching" does whereas "Shadow's Reach" almost does. Any other alternative title I have considered, really doesn't do it.
As I mentioned previous in older posts, I dropped the first three chapters. Doing this, I got my "hook" back to lure the reader in wanting more and read the book. The first edition, I had written three chapters of background and build up to the story. This lost the attention of the reader, because quite frankly - it had some confusing and boring parts to it.. I also changed the twist in the story that I had that began in the first chapter that tied into the last chapter. Many readers felt this left them hanging too much in a cliffhanger and left too many unanswered questions. So I actually removed that from the story and changed it, so there is a resolution at the ending. I won't say anymore about that as to not spoil it for anyone.
I also changed the flow of the story overall and dropped a lot of details I had previously had in it. I did this to help the reader relate more with the main character by allowing them to "fill in the blanks" themselves.
Besides having a huge amount of grammar issues because of changing the narration style in the story, I have a really great story to tell. One I believe will stick to people, years after they've read it. My biggest problem was: I didn't tell it well enough. I truly believe I have fixed all that and now have a truly enjoyable and great book now. One people will have trouble putting down and be happy they read.
♥ J. K. James